26 May 2013

Wedding dress



I used Vogue V1032 as a base for my dress because I really liked the design lines. I didn't want a massive train so I cut the back to be the same as the front. For the top bit, I drafted my own bodice part. That was then boned and sewn on to the waistband. I also drafted the top and the sleeves (just going off a few other patterns I had) to make an bodice top piece that was all joined. The back, instead of being open, I sewed on elastic loop tape and self fabric-covered buttons.

The fabric: satin backed crepe and lace from Grace & Lace in Christchurch. The colour is "oyster". I didn't want a white-white dress so that was perfect. I underlined the entire thing in silk organza to get some nice body to the main fabric. The lace was actually really strong and despite my fears, stayed together even around the arm and neck seams. The back of the bodice was also underlined to give it a bit of strength. The dress has clear bra straps sewed on under the lace to keep it up since it ended up being really heavy due to a {horrible} slippery lining I made the poor decision of using.

The whole thing was about four months in the making. I made a couple of muslins but ended up changing the dress as I went because I couldn't get the bodice right. After a few tries I was so close (about a week to go) to binning the entire thing and making a new one / buying one. But of course it ended up being pretty much perfect and I'm so happy and proud that I managed to make my wedding dress. Never again though!

FYI I made the bridesmaid dresses too. That was not the best experience. They ended up looking so good but I needed many a pep talk to get them finished. Having your two bridesmaids living in other countries and cities does not make for much fun. But hey, here we are!



PS. The veil is from circa 1920... it was my great-grandmother's, and my grandmother and my aunt both wore it to their weddings.. so special.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing! You are amazing! Gorgeous dress!

Chloe said...

Congratulations - both on your wedding, and making your own dress! It looks lovely, the lace over bodice is beautiful. And your bridesmaids look good too.

Anonymous said...

Who needs a massive train when you have that awesome veil! What a fabulous dress-really something to be proud of. I also love that the groom was wearing a kilt! Congrats.

Meg said...

This dress is absolutely gorgeous! There aren't that many white dresses that appeal to me, but you nailed this one on the head! Beautiful!

Jen said...

You looked beautiful Caroline!!! Your dress looked amazing, I especially love the lace yolk and sleeves :)

Trang said...

Such a perfect dress, I'm so blown away by your efford! Congrats on getting married :)

Zoƫ said...

Your wedding dress is amazing and I love the bridesmaids dresses. The cliche "You can wear it again" is actually true with those dresses :)

Anonymous said...

You look amazing and your dress is beautiful!